GENERAL STUDIES PAPER
1. What is the Vedic name of the river Ravi?
2. In which district of Himachal Pradesh is Mulgum Valley?
3. The 40- year war between ancient Aryan king Divodas and Shambar resulted in the defeat of …………..
4. Where was the capital of Kullu in the earlier times?
5. Who translated the collection of South Indian tales into Sanskrit and titled the work as Kathasaritasagar?
6. Who was installed as Raja of Bilaspur (Kahlur) princely state when Kharak Chand died issueless?
7. Identify the Himachal who was captain of Indian Hockey team that won gold medal at 1964 Summer Olympics at Tokyo?
8. Who built the Lakshmi Narayan Temple at Chamba?
9. Which ruler of Nurpur princely state was sent by Shah Jahan in 1645 A.D. to curb the Uzbeks of Balkh?
b)Bass Dev (Basu)
10. Which treaty signaled the departure of the Gurkhas and the arrival of the British on the political canvas of Shimla Hill states?
a)Treaty of Sagauli
b)Treaty of Lahore
c)Treaty of Malaun
d)Treaty of Ramgarh
11. Which raja’s wooing of Nokhu Gaddan is depicted in the “Raja- Gaddan” love lyric?
a)Man Singh of Jaswan
b)Sri Singh of Chamba
c)Bir Singh of Nurpur
d)Sansar Chand of Kangra
12. Given below in List I are the names of some INA heroes and in List II the titles given to them for their contributions:
(a)Major Mehar Dass
(c)Captain Bakhabi Pratap Singh
(d)L.A. Amar Chand
(4) Madel for bravery
With the help of codes given below find the correct match:
(1) (2) (3) (4)
a)(a) (c) (b) (d)
b)(b) (c) (a) (d)
c)(c) (d) (b) (a)
d)(d) (a) (b) (c)
13. Dr. Piyush Guleri’s award winning work, “ Chhaunte” is a ………….
14. Who among the following was returned unopposed to the first Lok Sabha?
a)Dr. Y.S. Parmar
c)Pt. Padam Dev
15. According to 2011 census which district of Himachal Pradesh has the lowest female literacy rate?
16. On which issue did several Panchayats of Nichar Sub-division boycotted the December 2010-Janaury 2011 Panchayat elections?
a)Opposition of cement factory
b)Demand or batter road connectivity
c)Demand for better marketing facilities for apple and other fruits
d)Opposition to Karcham Wangtoo Hydel Project.
17. When Himachal Pradesh was formed in 1948 which was the smallest Princely State/ Thakurai to join it (in terms of area)?
18. On which river is Chamba Pattan bridge which being without pillars is first of its kind in Himachal Pradesh?
19. At which places in Mandi District has the Department of Ayurveda set-up a herbal garden?
20. For distribution of essential commodities all families in Himachal Pradesh have been divided into four categories. Two of them are: Below Poverty Line (APL) families. Which are the other two?
a)Antyodaya and Scheduled Caste families
b)Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe families
c)Annapurna and Scheduled Caste families
d)Annapurna and Antyodaya families
21. Arrange the following ruling dynasties of ancient India in correct chronological order:
a)(iv), (ii), (i), (iii)
b)(ii), (iii), (iv), (i)
c)(iii), (i),(iv), (ii)
d)(iii),(ii), (iv), (i)
22. At which place was Varadhman Mahavir born?
23. From which place did Gandhiji start his Dandi March to the sea?
24. After Subhash Chandra Bose resigned from the Presidentship of Congress in 1939 who became the party president?
d)Jaya Prakash Narayan
25. Who were the two prominent leaders of Home Rule League?
a)Tilak and Annie Besant
b)Tilak and Feroz Shah Mehta
c)Annie Besant and B.C. Pal
d)B.C. Pal and Tilak
26. In 1943, Muslim League ministries were installed in four provinces. Two of them were Sind and NWFP. Which were the other two?
a)Punjab and Bengal
b)Assam and Punjab
c)Bengal and Assam
d)Bengal and U.P
27. Which Mughal ruler imprisoned his stepmother after the death of his father?
28. In which year was the partition of Bengal annulled?
29. At which venue did the 1907 A.D. split in Congress Party take place?
30. Who was the first Indian to declare that “Freedom is my birth right”?
b)Bal Gangadhar Tilak
c)Lala Lajpat Rai
d)Chandra Shkhar Azad
31. Who founded the All India Depressed Classes Federation?
a)B. R. Ambedkar
d)Lala Lajpat Rai
32. Who is the founder of the Arya Samaj?
d)Pandit Vishnu Shastri
33. What is the capital of Republic of South Sudan?
34. Who has been given the 2011 Sahitya Academy Award?
35. What is the name of first Indian Research Station in the Arctic?
36. Five rings linked together constitute the symbol of Olympic Games. Each ring is of a different colour. Two colours are blue and black. Which are the other three colours?
a)Green, Red, Violet
b)Red, Violet, Yellow
c)Green, Pink, Yellow
d)Green, Yellow, Red
37. In which state of India is Kaziranga National Park?
38. On the coast of which state is Wheeler Island?
39. Which of the following is not a measure of Human Development Index?
40. With which activity is Magsaysay awardees rajendra singh associated?
41. Which country gifted the Statue of Liberty to the United States of America?
42. Which statement is true about Ellora caves?
a)All of them are Buddhist caves
b)Majority of them are Buddhist caves
c)Majority of them are Hindu caves
d)All of them are Hindu caves
43. Which city in India is called the garden city?
44. The Western Ghats and the Eastern Ghats meet at:
45. Three important rivers of the Indian Subcontinent have their sources near the Mansarovar Lake in the Great Himalayas. These rivers are:
a)Indus, Jhelum and Satluj
b)Brahmaputra, Satluj and Yamuna
c)Brahmaputra, Indus and Satluj
d)Jhelum, Satluj and Yamuna
46. Match list l with List ll and select the correct answer from the codes given below:
List IList II
(d)Narora(iv) Uttar Pradesh
47. Koyali is:
a)Hydroelectric plant in Assam
b)Thermal Electric plant in Maharashtra
c)Oil Refinery in Gujarat
d)Biogas plant in Andhra Pradesh
48. Zawar Mines are important for:
49. Which of the following groups of rivers originates from the Himachal mountains?
a)Beas, Ravi and Chenab
b)Ravi, Chenab and Jhelum
c)Satluj, Beas and Ravi
d)Satluj, Ravi and Jhelum
50. The Pennines (Europe), Appalachians (America) and the Aravallis (India) are examples of:
51. Almost 90% of the world’s fish supply comes from:
b)The coast of Peru
c)The continental shelf
d)The open seas
52. The production of most metallic minerals is affected by each of the following, except:
a)Distance to market
c)Richness of the ore
d)Weight of the ore
53. Intensive subsistence agriculture is concentrated in:
a)Areas with a Mediterranean climate
b)Major river valleys and deltas such as the Ganges
c)The plains of the Midwestern United States
d)The Lapland areas of Scandinavia
54. Mediterranean agriculture is:
a)Dependent upon large quantities of summer rainfall
b)Known for grapes, olives, oranges and figs
c)One of the least productive of the agricultural regions
d)Found only in Southern Europe and Northern Africa
55. If the post of the Vice- President of India is vacant at the time of resignation or demise of the President of India, who among the following assumes the charge of the office of President?
a)Speaker of the Lok Sabha
b)Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha
c)Senior most Governor
d)Chief Justice of India
56. The Governor has the power to impose Governor’s rule in the State of:
d)Jammu and Kashmir
57. Which of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
Former SpeakerPolitical Party
b)G.H.C. BalayogiTelugn Desam Party
d)Somnath ChatterjeeCPI (M)
58. Which of the following statements is not correct about a judge of a High Court?
a)A judge of a High Court is appointed by the President of India
b)He holds office during the pleasure of the President
c)He can be transferred to any other High Court
d)He can be removed for proved misbehavior or incapacity
59. The Public Accounts Committee presents its report to:
a)The President of India
b)The Finance Minister
c)The Parliamentary Affairs Minister
60. Under the Constitution of India, the power to issue a writ of Habeas Corpus is vested in:
a)The District Courts
b)The High Court only
c)He Supreme Court only
d)Both the High Court’s and the Supreme Court
61. In which part of the Indian Constitution has the provision for Panchayats been made?
62. When an advance grant is made by Parliament, pending the regular passage of the budget, it is called:
a)Vote on credit
d)Vote on account
63. Under the Constitution of India Education as a subject of legislation is included in:
a)The Union List
b)The State List
c)The Concurrent List
d)The Residuary Powers
64. Which one of the following is no longer a source of income of urban local bodies in Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh?
65. The Tenth Schedule added to the Constitution of India by the 52nd Amendment relates to:
a)Anti- defection law
66. Match List I with List II and select the correct answer from the codes given below:
(1) Privileges of Parliament
(2) Residuary Powers
(3) Directive Principal of State Policy
(4) Judicial Review
(a) Irish Constitution
(b) The Britain
(c) Canadian Constitution
(d) U.S. Constitution
67. Which Indian city has the highest population according to 2011 Census?
68. Which of the following Indian Companies has been listed at the top in Forbes- 2000 list?
69. ‘Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan Yojana’ is associated with:
a)The Development of Bihar
b)Community toilets in slum area
c)Construction of House for low income groups
d)None of the above
70. The maximum limit of Foreign Direct investment (FDI) in public sector banking is:
71. Which of the following plans is meant for constructing houses for rural people?
a)Indra Avas Yojana
b)Ambedkar Avas Yojana
d)None of the above
72. As per 13th Finance Commission Recommendations during 2010-15, transfers to the states in the form of ‘grant-in –aid’ are expected to be:
a)Rs. 44,000 crore
b)Rs. 1,64,882 crore
c)Rs. 3,18,581 crore
d)Rs. 1,07,552 crore
73. Which of the following is/are the component (s) of Gross Domestic Capital Formation (GDCF)?
1.Gross Domestic Savings
2.Net Capital Inflow
3.Direct Foreign Investment
d)Both (1) and (2)
74. Ethanol mixed petrol is being sold in various states w.e.f. January 1, 2003. The percentage of ethanol in petrol is:
75. At present the National Commission on Population is under:
b)Ministry of Human Resource Development
d)Ministry of Health
76. Consider the following statements:
1.The repo rate is the rate at which other banks borrow from the Reserve Bank of India
2.A value of 0 for Gini co-efficient in country implies that there is perfectly equal income for everyone in its population
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
c)Both (1) and (2)
d)Neither (1) nor (2)
77. Tara pore Committee was associated with which one of the following?
a)Special Economic Zones
b)Full capital account convertibility
c)Foreign exchange reserve
d)Effect of oil prices on the Indian economy
78. Participatory Notes (PNs) are associated with which one of the following?
a)Consolidated Fund of India
b)Foreign Institutional Investors
c)United Nations Development Programme
79. Fly ash is environment pollutant produced by:
a)Thermal Power plant
80. Environment planning organization is:
81. Shallow lake with rich organic products are called:
82. In coming years, skin related disorders will become more common due to:
a)Excessive use of detergents
d)Depletion of ozone layer
83. Loss of forests, urbanization and increasing pollution are all due to:
84. What is the animal symbol of WWF (World Wildlife Fund)?
85. Plant genes of endangered species are stored in:
d)None of the above
86. State bird of Rajasthan is:
b)Great Indian bustard
87. Soil erosion is more when:
a)Rainfall is high
d)None of the above
88. Ecology takes into account of:
a)Environmental factors only
b)Effects of plants on environment
d)Relationship between organism and their environment
89. Sun loving plants are:
90. Which of the following is not a natural polymer?
91. A polymer which is used for making ropes and carpet fibers is:
92. The urine sample of a diabetic patients contains:
d)All of the above
93. The quality of diesel oil for use in diesel engines is determined by:
a)The composition of the oil
b)The octane number
c)The cetane number
d)The amount of additive added
94. Rusting of iron is:
a)An electrochemical process
b)A photochemical process
c)An electro analytical process
d)All of the above
95. When mild steel is heated to a high temperature and suddenly cooled in water, it becomes hard and brittle. The process is called:
96. Which of the following is used as moderators in nuclear reactors?
d)All of the above
97. Silicon carbide (SiC) is known as:
98. A pale blue gas with a fish-like odour restores the color of a blackened lead painting. The gas is also used as rocket fuel. It is:
d) None of these
99. The bleaching action of chlorine occurs in the presence of:
d)Pure sulphur dioxide
100. Haem is the important biologically in the myoglobin which is used to store:
a)Nitrogen in muscles
b)Chlorine in muscles
c)Oxygen in muscles
d)Carbon dioxide in muscles