GENERAL STUDIES PAPER
1. Which of the following valleys lies between the Dhauladhar and Pir Panjal?
a) Balh Valley
b) Bara Bhangal Valley
c) Kiara Dun Valley
d) Pabbar Valley
2. Which of the following Himalayan zones occupies the maximum percentage of total geographical area of H.P.?
a) Sub-Himalayan Zone
b) Mid-Hill Zone
c) High Hill Zone
d) Trans Himalayan Zone
3. ‘Shingo-La’ is the name of which pass?
a) Zanskar Pass
b) Bara Lacha Pass
c) Rohtang Pass
d) Jalori Pass
4. Where does river Yamuna, after flowing through Uttarakhand, enter in Sirmaur district of Himachal Pradesh?
c) Baru Sahib
5. The movement started under the aegies of ‘Kisaan Sabha’ in which Shri Lakshmi Singh and Vaid Surat Singh played a pivotal rote was:
a) Praja Mandal
b) Pajhota Andolan
c) Swaraj Sangh
d) Lokraj Sabha
6. ‘Democratisation of the Administration’ was the main aim of:
a) Praja Mandal Movement
b) Mandi conspiracy
c) Bilaspur Struggle
7. When Himachal Pradesh got right to participate in the election for first time under the new Constitution?
8. Which of the following Monasteries was built by Western Tibet ruler ‘Ye-Sashoad’ around the year 996 A.D.?
9. Which was the old capital of Kullu Rajas from where the twelve generations of Kullu Rajas ruled?
10. In 1804 A.D. Rulers of Bilaspur, Mandi, Chamba and other small rulers of Kangra area invited whom to invade Kangra?
a) Gurkha Army Chief Amar Singh Thapa
b) British Army
d) Maharaja Ranjeet Singh
11. In 1848 who suppressed the rebellion of Wazir of Nurpur and then Pramod Chand and Rajas of Jaswan and Datarpur?
a) Mr. Lawrance
b) Mr. Jackson
c) Mr. Moorcraft
d) Mr. Williams
12. ‘Madho Rai Ki Jaleb’ is the main attraction of which popular Himachali fair?
13. What is the architectural style of the temple built on the edge of the Prarashar Lake?
a) Cone Shaped
d) Pyramidal Shaped
14. ‘Dohru’ is a traditional woollen dress worn by the women of which district?
15. What is the approximate capacity of ‘Shontong-Karcham’ Hydro Electric Power Project?
a) 195 MW
b) 100 MW
c) 205 MW
d) 450 MW
16. In which district central government approved Rs. 80 lakh in 2011 for setting up of Snow Leopard Centre?
a) Kilba in Kinnaur
b) Kibber in Lahaul Spiti
c) Sainj in Kullu
d) Pangi in Chamba
17. To improve the Gross Enrolment Ration (GER) in Higher Education the Government of H.P. has adopted ‘Rashtriya Uchtar Shika Abhiyan’ the centrally sponsored scheme in the year:
18. Who is author of the book ‘Polandry in the Himalayas’?
a) Dr. Y.S. Parmar
b) C.G. Bruce
c) V.P. Menon
d) M.S. Gill
19. Which famous football tournament was started in 1888 from Annadale?
a) Subroto Cup
b) Santosh Trophy
c) Durand Cup
d) Federation Cup
20. The Mushroom Development Project in Palampur was launched in 1985 with introduction of technology of which country?
21. Who won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 2017?
a) Joachim Frank
b) Jacques Dubochet
c) Richard Henderson
d) All of the above
22. Who won the Women’s Single Wimbledon tournament in 2017?
a) Garbine Muguruza
b) Ekaterina Makarova
c) Elena Vesnina
d) Serna Williams
23. Who became first female President of Singapore?
a) Carrie Lam
b) Halimah Yacob
c) Jacindra Ardern
d) Angela Merkel
24. Why Jagmeet Singh is in news?
a) He is elected leader of Canada’s New Democratic party.
b) He represents South Hall in British House of Commons.
c) He is appointed as one of the advisor to President Doanld Trump.
d) He is advisor to UN Commission on Human Rights.
25. Why Hambantota Port has been in news in 2017?
a) Its majority stakes are sold to China.
b) It straddles world’s busiest east-west shipping route.
c) Chinese move here created worries for India.
d) All of the above
26. Who was awarded best actress in the 64th National Film awards function?
a. C.M. Surabhi
b. Zaira Wasim
c. Iman Chakraborty
d. Sonam Kapoor
27. Match List- and List-II and select the correct answer from the codes given below:
1. Sachidanand Vatsyayan Judge
2. Aryabhatta Harijan leader
3. Ayyankali Hindi Poet
4. M. Fatima Beevi Astronomer
a) 4 3 1 2
b) 3 4 2 1
c) 3 1 2 4
d) 2 1 3 4
28. Name the sportsperson who has been honoured with ‘Bharat Ratna’?
a. Major Dhyan Chand
b. Sunil Gavaskar
c. Sachin Tendulkar
d. P.T. Usha
29. Who is appointed as New Chairman of ISRO?
a) M.G.K. Menon
b) Roddam Narsimhan
c) U.R. Rao
d) K. Sivan
30. Who is the first women advocate whose name has been recommended by the collegiums to become the Judge of Supreme Court of India?
a) Indu Malhotra
b) Neeru Chadha
c) Sujata V. Manohar
d) Gyan Sudha Mishra
31. Who said that, “The Constituent Assembly was a one party body in an essentially one party country. The assembly was the Congress and the Congress was India?
a) Morris Jones
b) Paul R. Brass
c) Granville Austin
d) Richard Sisson
32. Match List-I and List-II and select the correct answer from the codes given below:
1.The Child and the State in India
2.The Hindu Nationalist Movement and Indian Politics
3.The Political Economy
of Development in India
4.Poverty Amid Plenty in the New India.
1. Atul Kohli
2. Pranab Bardhan
3. Christopher Jaferlot
4. Myron Weiner
a) 3 4 1 2
b) 4 3 2 1
c) 2 1 3 4
d) 1 2 4 3
33. In which case did The Supreme Court give the doctrine of ‘Basic Structure’ of the constitution?
a) Keshavanand Bharti case
b) Golak Nath case
c) Indira Sawhney case
d) Sankari Prasad case
34. Which state/union territories are involved in the Caveri river dispute?
a) Maharashtra, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu
b) Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Pudducherry
c) Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Kerala
d) Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Pudducherry
35. Supreme Court’s judgment in Indira Sawhney Vs. Union of India case deal with:
a) Reservations for OBCs
b) Reservations for SCs and STs
c) Reservations in Promotion
d) Reservations for Muslims
36. Match List-I and List-II and select the correct answer from the codes given below:
List-I (Panchayati Raj Committees) List-II (Year)
1. C.H Hanumantha Rao 1978
2. C.V.K Rao 1984
3. Ashok Mehta 1986
4. L.M. Singhvi 1985
a) 4 2 1 3
b) 2 4 1 3
c) 1 3 2 4
d) 3 1 4 2
37. Which of the following is not associated with electoral reforms in India?
a) Tarkunde Committee
b) Dinesh Goswami Committee
c) N.N. Vohra Committee
d) Indrajit Gupta Committee
38. Who described Indian Capitalism as “Dharmshala Capitalism”?
a) V.K.R.V. Rao
b) Jagdish Bhagwati
c) Amartya Sen
d) Raj Krishana
39. Which of the following are statutory bodies? Select the correct answer from the codes given below:
1. University Grants Commission
2. Official language Commission
3. Railway Board
4. Atomic Energy Commission
a. 1 and 2
b. 1,3 and 4
c. 1,2 and 4
d. 2 and 4
40. Regarding the Interim Government of 1946 which of the following is not correct?
a. Jawaharial Nehru was the Prime Minister/Head of the Executive council
b. Jawaharlal Nehru was designated as the Vice-President of the Viceroy’s Executive Council
c. The Viceroy continue to be the Head of the Executive Council
d. The members of the Interim Government were members of Viceroy’s Executive Council
41. Who said, Indian federalism is “a new kind of federation to meet India’s peculiar needs”?
a) Granville Austin
b) Ivor Jennings
d) Ronald Wats
42. Adi Ambedkar Samaj movement is related to which state?
d) Uttar Pradesh
43. When did Communist Party of India (Marxist) emerge a separate political party?
44. Who described the critical and creative role of politics in India as “the Indian model of development”?
a) Rajni Kothari
b) Amartya Sen
c) Jagdish Bhagwati
d) James Manner
45. Match List-I and List-II and identify the correct answer from the codes given below:
List- (Events) List- (Year)
1. Millennium Development 2010
2. National Commission for 2006
3. Ministry of Women and 1992
4. National Mission for 2011
Empowerment of Women
a) 1 2 3 4
b) 1 2 4 3
c) 4 3 2 1
d) 1 4 3 2
e) 3 1 2 4
46. Montague-Chelmsford Reforms were introduced in India in the year:
47. Dr. B.R. Ambedkar was born at:
48. Which of the following leaders had worked for tribal upliftment?
a) Mahatma Gandhi
b) A.V. Thakkar
c) Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
d) Jagjivan Ram
49. Which of the following leaders was never associated with the Indian National Congress?
a) V.D. Savarkar
b) Lala Lajpat Rai
c) Vallabhbhai Patel
d) S.C. Bose
50. Which of the following was not a socialist leader?
a) Ram Manohar Lohiya
b) Jaiprakash Narain
c) S.C. Bose
d) M.R. Jaiyakar
51. Dr. B.R. Ambedkar as the first Law Minister of India?
a) Hindu Code Bill
b) Indian Code Bill
c) Hindu Marriage Bill
d) Human Rights Bill
52. Which one of the following igneous rocks has the highest density?
53. Which one of the following is not correctly matched?
54. Which one of the following planets has the shortest day?
55. The term outwash plain is associated with :
c) Sea waves
d) Wind action
56. Which one of the following has the largest number of active volcanoes?
b) Aleutian Islands
c) Hawaii Islands
57. The concept of Normal Cycle of Erosion was given by :
a) Davis, W.M.
b) Penck, W.
c) Strahler, A.
d) Thornbury, W.D.
58. The term Ria stands for :
a) A submerged river valley
b) A submerged glacial valley
c) An emerged river valley
d) An emerged glacial valley
59. The term deflation is associated with :
b) Running water Sea-water
d) Wind action
60. The rate of decrease of temperature in the troposphere is :
a) 5.4 degree Celcius
b) 6.4 degree Celcius
c) 7 degree Celcius
d) 4 degree Celcius
61. The term Operation Flood is associated with :
a) Blue Revolution
b) Golden Revolution
c) White Revolution
d) Yellow Revolution
62. The National Forest Policy was launched in:
63. Which one of the following states have the highest percentage of irrigated area?
a) Arunachal Pradesh
c) Jammu & Kashmir
64. Oil refinery at Bhatinda is being established by :
65. Which one of the following is the largest industry in India?
b) Iron & Steel
66. Tata Iron and Steel Company at Jamshedpur was established in:
67. The first industrial policy was announced in:
68. The town of Rishra is known for the industry of :
a) Cotton Textile
b) Jute Textile
c) Silk Textile
d) Woolen Textile
69. Koraput has rich deposits of :
70. How many sustainable developments are there in the U.N. Agenda 2030?
71. What is India’s estimated GDP growth rate for 2018-19 in the Economic Survey?
a) 6.3% – 7.1%
b) 7.2% – 7.5%
c) 7% – 7.5%
d) 7% – 7.2%
72. What was the Index of Industrial Production in December 2017?
73. Find the correct poverty estimates for the given states in 2011-12, as per the Planning Commission?
Arunachal Pradesh: 34.7% 33.7% 36.9% 34.7%
Bihar: 39.9% 36.9% 39.9% 33.7%
Chhattisgarh: 36.9% 34.7% 33.7% 39.9%
Manipur: 33.7% 39.9% 34.7% 36.9%
74. With what is “Operation Green” related?
a) Use of paramilitary forces against Naxalites in Maharashtra
b) Use of paramilitary forces against Naxalites in Chhattisgarh
c) Tomato Onion Potato
d) Round Revolution
75. What is the bank account available to Dalits and Women under “Stand-up India”?
a) Rs. 1 – 10 lakh
b) Rs. 10 – 50 lakh
c) Rs. 10 lakh – 1 crore
d) Rs. 50 lakh – 1 crore
76. What was the approximate decadal population growth rate of Himachal Pradesh in census 2011?
77. Immunization of all children by 2020 is related to :
a) Mission Rainbow
b) Mission Ayushmaan Bharat
c) Mission Arogya
d) Mission Healthy Bharat
78. According to the Global Nutrition Report 2017, how many females suffered from anaemia in India?
79. What is the estimated social sector expenditure in budget 2018-19?
a) Rs. 1.36 lakh crore
b) Rs. 1.37 lakh crore
c) Rs. 1.38 lakh crore
d) Rs. 1.39 lakh crore
80. How many poor families will be provided with how much medical insurance per family in 2018-19 under the Ayushmaan Bharat Yojana?
a) 10 crore and Rs 3 lakh
b) 5 crore and Rs 5 lakh
c) 10 crore and Rs 5 lakh
d) 3 crore and Rs 10 lakh
81. How many hours per year are the people expected to contribute for cleanliness under the Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan?
82. Match the items given in column I and II
(P) Montreal Protocol
(Q) Vienna Convention
(R) Kyoto Protocol
(S) Earth Summit
i. Protection of Ozone Layer
ii. Stabilization of Greenhouse Gases
iii. Environment and Sustainable Development
iv. Total Elimination of Ozone Depleting Substances
Match the above:
a) (P-iv), (Q-ii), (R-i), (S-iii)
b) (P-iv), (Q-i), (R-ii), (S-iii)
c) (P-ii), (Q-iv), (R-i), (S-iii)
d) (P-ii), (Q-i), (R-iii), (S-iv)
83. In context environment, the term “dirty dozen” refers to:
1) 12 ozone layer depleting substances
2) 12 persistent organic pollutants
3) 12 most harmful greenhouse gases
4) 12 most degraded ecosystems
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
a) Only 3
b) 1, 2 and 3
c) Only 2
d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
84. Vast majority of biodiversity occur in:
a) Developing countries
b) Developed countries
c) Equal in both
d) None of the above
85. “Appiko Movement” was leaded by:
a) Sunderlal Bahuguna
b) Pandurang Hegde
c) Vandana Shiva
d) Amrita Devi
86. Freshwater present on earth is :
87. Which industry labours are most prone to Cytosilicosis disease?
88. Match the items given in column I and II :
(P) Biological Diversity Act
(Q) E-Waste (Management and Handling) Rules
(R) Hazardous Wastes (Management, Handling and Trans-boundary) Rules
(S) Municipal Solid Wastes (Management and Handling Rules
a) (P-i), (Q-iv), (R-ii), (S-iii)
b) (P-i), (Q-iv), (R-ii), (S-ii)
c) (P-iv), (Q-iii), (R-ii), (S-i)
d) (P-iv), (Q-iii), (R-i), (S-ii)
89. In which year “Project Crocodile” was launched in India?
90. Which of the following is a non-renewable energy source?
c) Nuclear reactors
d) All of the above
91. Which of the following is not a fundamental unit?
92. The liquid used in a clinical thermometer is:
93. The image formed by a convex mirror is :
a) Erect and diminished
b) Erect and enlarged
c) Inverted and diminished
d) Inverted and enlarged
94. Renewable source of energy is :
b) Fossil fuels
c) Natural gas
95. The global warming has resulted:
a) Increase in yield of the crop
b) Decrease in sea levels
c) Decrease in human deaths
d) Increase in sea levels
96. Photosynthesis occurs in :
d) None of the above
97. In which part of our body RBC formed?
98. “Rataundhi” is due to deficiency of which Vitamin?
a) Vitamin A
b) Vitamin B6
c) Vitamin C
d) Vitamin B12
99. Core of a transformer is made of :
b) Soft iron
100. Which of the following is in the deficiency in a body during “Dengue” fever?