Current Affair 15th January to 31st January
- Himachal Pradesh celebrates 54th statehood day
Why in News: The 54th statehood day of Himachal Pradesh would be celebrated at Dharampur in Mandi district and chief minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu will preside over the function there.
Highlights: Dharampur has a political importance for Congress in Himachal Pradesh as of the total 10 assembly seats of Mandi district; it is the lone seat which Congress has won.
Journey of Statehood:
- The renowned Sanskrit scholar, Acharya Diwakar Datt Sharma, coined the term ‘Himachal’.
- 15th April 1948: Twenty six Shimla Hill States (Except Nalagarh) and four Punjab Hill States of Sirmaur Chamba, Mandi and Suket.
- September 1951: GOVERNMENT PART C STATES ACT was passed and himachal become part-C state.
- 1 November 1956 : Himachal Pradesh became a union territory
- 1st July 1963 : Territorial council was converted into Legislative Council
- 1st November 1966 : Punjab was reorganized and Punjab hill areas were merged into Himachal Pradesh
- 24th January 1968 : Vidhan sabha Pass Resolution of Demanding statehood
- 31st July 1970 : a bill for the grant of statehood was introduced in parliament
- 18th December 1970 : State of Himachal Pradesh act was passed
- 25th January 1971 : Indira Gandhi inaugurated Himachal as 18th State of Indian union
- Devraj Sharma
Why in News: Retired IG Devraj Sharma has taken oath as a member of Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission.
About Devraj Sharma: Devraj Sharma is a resident of Sanjauli, Shimla.
- “Nine Kullu villages whisper no more”
Why in News: Residence of Nine villages in Kullu district are observing a complete silence since Makar sakranti to appease village deity Gautam Rishi(temple is situated at Goshal village in manali subdivision).
- They will continue doing so for 42 days as part of an age -old-tradition
- They will keep their Television and Radio sets off and mobile Phones in silent mode in Keeping with the age –old-tradition.
- It is believed that on the occasion of Makar Sankranti every year, Gautam Rishi leaves his abode to join the deity council in heaven.
- He stays there for 42 days, during this period, he meditates and the noise from the earth might disturb and displease him.
- To avoid the deity’s wrath, residents of Goshal, Solang, Shanag, Kothi, Palchan, Ruar, Kulang, Majhach and Burua villages in the Ujhi valley of Kullu district strictly follow this age-old tradition every year.
- No pooja is performed in the temple and it remains closed till the return of the deity.
- It is believed that when the temple is reopened, if a flower is seen on the mud, it symbolizes happiness for villagers. If Charcoal is seen there , it indicates that the village will face some fore incident. The presence of Grain indicates a good harvest
- Eight New green belts notified in Shimla Planning area
Why in News: The town and Country planning Department has notified eight new green belts within the Shimla planning area
- The step is taken to conserve the forest areas within the city and its suburbs
- With this notification, the total number of green belts will go up from 17 to 25.
- TCP department has invited suggestions and objections for carving out these eight new green belts within next 30 days.
- The eight new green belts that the government has notified include Retreat, Mashobra, Band Tukda Andri, Shiv Mandir Andri, Tal and Giri, Demarcated Protected Forest, Khalini,BCS-mist Chamber and Pari Mahal,
- “Know your army” Mela -2024
Why in News: The Army Training Command celebrated 76th Army Day and Organized Know your Army Mela-2024 on the Ridge Maidan Shimla
- The event had a variety of attractions for visitors and tourists such as displaying infantry weapons and equipment,
- Indian Army soldiers exhibited ancient Indian Martial Arts “Kaliyaripattu” and “Gatka”
- Rustom Scheme:
Why in News: To create awareness among the youth about drug abuse, the Solan Police have initiated “ Rustom” Scheme.
- The scheme was aimed at creating awareness among the youth about the ill-effects of drug abuse.
- The participation of the public has been sought for this purpose.
- Troupes of young boys and girls have been roped in to perform skits in kasauli and Solan.
- 7. 155th meeting of the Board of Directors of Himachal Pradesh Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) in Shimla
Why in News: Recently Deputy Chief Minister Mukesh Agnihotri presided the 155th meeting of the Board of Directors of Himachal Pradesh Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) in Shimla
- Announcement of Ticketing through UPi, QR Scan, Credit and Debit Cards, after the implementation of this facility Himachal Would soon become the first State in the country.
- Integrated Ticketing management System will developed which allow the people to use cashless payment mode in Metro trains, railway Stations, airports and in other states for commuting.
- HRTC will replace diesel- run buses in a phased manner and purchased 1,932 electric buses over the next four years with 297 likely to be added to its fleet in 2024-25.
- Formally launched the Centralized inventory Management System (CIMS) for effective monitoring and control of the inventory on a daily basis at the head office and block levels.
- At present CIMS was being run on a trial basis at Divisional workshops at Tara Devi and Jassur and the regional workshops at Shimla (local), Una and Dhamshala.
- Released an information booklet of the Pratham Darshan service and directed the HRTC to rebrand buses being run under it.
- HRTC had released Rs.11.43Cr to Himachal Pradesh State Electricity Board for setting up electric charging stations.
- Kullu Girl bags gold at Para athletics Championship:
Why in News: Recently in National Para Athletics Championship were held in Goa and Jyoti Thakur, a resident of Jalaphadh village, Banjar has won a gold medal in Discuss Throw.
- Director General of Police/Inspector General of police conference 2023
Why in News: Recently Union Home Minister during the Director General of Police (DGP)/ inspector General of Police conference 2023 released the Best Police stations in the Country
Criteria: Criteria to choose the best police station in a particular year
- Law and order
- Registration of cases under the NDPS Act and Excise Act
- Preventive actions
- Execution of warrants
- Speedy Disposal of cases
- Low Pendency
- Higher conviction rate and speedier action in passport, arms and services.
- Jathia Devi Project
Why in News: The state government will acquire 100 hectare more for setting up a satellite township at Jatia Devi, near Shimla airport.
Aim: This decision aims to alleviate the strain on Shimla’s infrastructure
- A team from the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs is scheduled to visit the proposed site in order to assess its feasibility.
- The four other states competing with Himachal to get the project are Sikkim, Assam, Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh. The project will be allotted to any of these states based on the report of the team of the Union ministry.
NEED of Such Project in Shimla:
- Shimla is experiencing Rapid Growth
- Ribbon development along the Highways and even along the minor roads emanating from the city is a common feature
- Prominent ridges like Sanjauli, Cemetery, Dhalli, Bhattakufar, Mehli, Kangnadhar, Khalini, and Bharari are witnessing significant development
- Diverse Functions encompassing Tourism , administrative and Institutional activities convert Shimla in Multifunctional city
This Growth and demand led to various challenges including Congestion
Benefit of this Project :
Aim –to alleviate the mounting traffic congestion and infrastructure challenges in the picturesque city of Shimla, the proposed Mountain Township project has emerged as a promising solution.
- This Project create a brand new city close to Shimla , Providing an alternative to the bustling capital
- By diverting a portion of population and activities the new township , the project aim to enhance traffic flow , reduce travel time , improve accessibilities to the different parts of region