Govt. bans PUBG, WeChat Work, 116 other mobile apps
- The government on Wednesday banned 118 applications — a majority being Chinese, including popular ones such as PUBG, WeChat Work, Baidu, Cam Card, Rise of Kingdoms: Lost Crusade and Alipay, stating that these were “prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of State and public order”.
- In a statement, the government said this move would safeguard the interests of crores of Indian mobile and Internet users and the decision was a targeted move to ensure safety, security and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace.
‘Economic growth will turn positive by Q1 of next year’
- Economic growth will come into positive territory only by March or June quarter 2021, but India will have to turn the crisis into an opportunity by introducing reforms, Nilesh Shah, a part time member of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister, said on Wednesday.
- India’s GDP contracted 23.9% year on year (y-o-y) in the June 2020 quarter, which saw COVID-19 lockdowns, making the country one of the worst performers across the world during the pandemic. At the current level, it looks like the March 2021 quarter or June 2021 quarter will show y-o-y positive GDP growth.
- GDP will be hit by the pandemic for two years but stressed that the country needed to take advantage of the challenging situation, just the way it did in 1991 during the forex crisis which put growth momentum in a new orbit.
India-China talks at Chushul remain inconclusive
- India and China at Chushul to deescalate the situation on the South Bank of Pangong Tso remained inconclusive.
- Vikas Battalions, was killed in a blast when he stepped on a vintage 1962 minefield during patrolling.
- “provocative movements” by PLA troops and to preempt them from dominating the heights in the Chushul sector near the Spanggur Gap. The action is centred around the Black Top area and around Rezang La and Rechin La. At the same time, the Army also strengthened its positions on the North Bank as a precaution.