10 killed in blaze at COVID-19 care facility in Vijayawada
- Ten patients died and another 20 suffered burns after a fire broke out at a private COVID-19 care centre in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh,
Defence Ministry to impose import embargo on 101 items
- The Defence Ministry will “introduce import embargo on 101 items beyond given timeline to boost indigenisation of defence production”.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said that the government intends to reach a turnover of $25 billion through indigenously manufactured defence products and also expects to export products worth $5 billion.
- “Government has also decided that in any government contract over ₹200 crore, no foreign company can participate in the tendering process… We will help Indian defence manufacturers… This year ₹52,000 crore items [are] to be bought only from Indian companies,”.
- The fire broke out around 5 a.m. on the ground and first floors of Hotel Swarna Palace, which was leased by Ramesh Hospitals as a COVID care centre. There are about 40 rooms in the hotel, and patients were undergoing treatment in 30.
- “According to available information, 30 patients and 10 hospital staff were in the hotel turned quarantine centre.
DSLSA organises first online Lok Adalat
- Bringing creative solutions to the ongoing COVID19 pandemic, the Delhi State Legal Services Authority (DSLSA) under the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) organised the firstever online Lok Adalat here on Saturday.