India reports 128 more deaths, 3,277 fresh cases in 24 hours
- India reported 3,277 new cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours and an additional 128 deaths, taking the total tally to 62,939 and 2,109 deaths on Sunday.
- 1,511 patients were discharged after treatment, which takes the total recovery rate to 30.76%, according to the data released by the Union Health Ministry.
Truck carrying migrant workers overturns, 5 killed
- Five migrant workers were killed and 13 others injured when a truck in which they were travelling overturned on a highway in Narsinghpur district of Madhya Pradesh on Saturday night.
- District officials said 15 migrant workers were travelling in the Agrabound truck laden with mangoes coming from Hyderabad. “They were headed towards Jhansi and Etah districts of Uttar Pradesh,” said Rahul Wasnik, Assistant Director, Narsinghpur administration.
15 pairs of trains to run from tomorrow
- The Indian Railways on Sunday said it planned to restart passenger services in a phased manner — initially with 15 pairs of trains — from Tuesday onwards, almost 50 days after the services were stopped amid COVID19 lockdown.
- To begin with, the 15 pairs of trains, meaning a total of 30 return journeys, would be run as special trains from the New Delhi station connecting Dibrugarh, Agartala, Howrah, Patna, Bilaspur, Ranchi, Bhubaneswar, Secunderabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Thiruvananthapuram, Madgaon, Mumbai Central, Ahmedabad and Jammu Tawi.
- The reservation for these trains would start on May 11 from 4 p.m. and would be available only on the IRCTC website.
- “Only passengers with valid confirmed tickets will be allowed to enter the stations,” the railways said. It would be mandatory for passengers to wear face cover and undergo screening at departure. “Only asymptomatic passengers will be allowed to board the train,” it said.
Five Air India pilots test positive
- Five of the 77 Air India crew members who took COVID-19 tests to enable them to operate Vande Bharat Mission repatriation flights have tested positive.
- The five, all Mumbaibased pilots, had operated cargo flights between Guangzhou and Delhi carrying medical supplies and equipment in April. Four of them had been rostered together, two pilots for each sector to China.
Maharashtra adds 1000 plus cases again
- Maharashtra reported its highest, single day surge in new COVID-19 cases as well as fatalities on Sunday as the cumulative tally rose to 22,171 cases; 53 fatalities took the State’s total death toll to 832. More than 1,000 cases were added for the third consecutive day.