Dubey shot dead in ‘exchange of fire’
- Vikas Dubey, the history sheeter accused of killing eight policemen in Bikru village last week, was gunned down early on Friday while allegedly trying to flee from custody after an accident as he was being taken from Ujjain to Kanpur, the Uttar Pradesh police said.
- The STF said the vehicle carrying Dubey lost control and overturned when the driver, who was tired after a long journey, turned sharply to avoid a herd of cattle that suddenly ran onto the road. The accident happened near a hospital in the Sachendi area on the national highway a few kilometres ahead of Kanpur around 6.45 a.m. Dubey was being escorted to Kanpur to be produced in a court, police said.
Commercial vaccine will take at least 12 months, say officials
- A novel coronavirus vaccine will take at least 12 months to be commercially available and a realistic deadline for it would be some time next year, a group of government officials informed the Parliamentary Panel on Science and Technology, headed by Congress leader Jairam Ra mesh, at a meeting.
- The officials also indicated that when the vaccine is developed, it will first be made available to vulnerable groups before distribution for public use.
Solar energy will play big role in ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’: PM
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday said solar energy would play a major role in achieving selfreliance in energy, essential for an ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ (selfreliant India).
- Inagurating a 750 MW solar power project in Rewa district, Madhya Pradesh, he said: “We won’t be able to use solar power entirely unless we have within the country improved solar panels, improved batteries and best quality storage. We need to work in this direction now.”
DDA launches damage assessment scheme
- The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) on Friday launched a self assessment scheme of 23 Nazul estates in the city for damage assessment. Private persons who have occupied govern ment land in an unauthorised manner will be liable to pay damage charges to the urban body.
- Areas like Paharganj, Daryaganj North and South, Karol Bagh, Jhandewalan, Sadar Bazar South and North, Aliganj, among others, are part of the said 23 estates.