Slum population most at risk, says ICMR
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) on Thursday released the results of the first sero survey on COVID-19 spread that stated that the urban slum population was most vulnerable to the spread, followed by urban settlements. The ICMR asserted that the country is not in the community transmission phase.
- The sero surveillance study, conducted in 83 districts covering 28,595 households and 26,400 individuals by the ICMR along with other agencies in May, also reveals that 0.73% of the population surveyed showed evidence of past exposure to SARS-CoV-2.
Punjab CM orders stricter lockdown on holidays
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Thursday ordered stricter lockdown on weekends and public holidays, with movement to be restricted to e-pass holders.
- All citizens, except medical staff and essential service providers, would have to download e-passes from the COVA app, the Chief Minister said during a video conference.
IIT-Madras top institution in govt. ranking
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras, is the country’s best in the field of higher education, according to the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF).
- Under the universities category, the IISc topped the list, followed by Jawaharlal Nehru University and Banaras Hindu University. While Delhi University has dropped out of the top 10.
- Miranda House got the first rank in the colleges category, followed by Lady Shri Ram College for Women and Hindu College.