Status quo on LAC after Jaishankar-Wang meet
- There is a freeze on all movement and activities along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh after External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar met his Chinese counterpart, Wang Yi, in Moscow on September 10 and agreed on a five point solution to ease the border tension.
- A senior government official told The Hindu that status quo is being maintained by the Indian and Chinese troops on the north and south banks of Pangong Tso (lake), which saw renewed mobilisation of troops, vehicles and weapons in the past few days.
Turkey pulls back vessel from Mediterranean Sea
- Turkey’s seismic research vessel Oruc Reis returned to waters near the southern province of Antalya on Sunday, Refinitiv data showed, a move Greece said was a positive first step in easing tensions over offshore natural resources.
- But Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar played down the significance of the move, saying the ship had returned to shore as part of scheduled plans.
- Turkey and Greece have overlapping claims to continental shelves and rights to potential energy resources in the eastern Mediterranean.