India’s rise in cases third fastest globally
- With 11,220 new COVID-19 cases and 325 deaths registered on Sunday, the total number of infections and the death toll in India reached 3,32,777 and 9,521 respectively. This data was based on reports from State Health Departments.
- The recovery rate was nearly 51%. According to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- India now ranks third, behind Brazil and the U.S. in the daily increase in COVID19 cases (7day rolling average) across the world.
Sabarimala temple opens for rituals
- The Ayyappa Temple at Sabarimala opened on Sunday evening for the fiveday rituals in the Malayalam month of Midhunom that begins on Monday.
- However, pilgrims were not allowed as the Travancore Devaswom Board decided to stick to lockdown
norms in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Nepal’s upper house takes up Bill on map
- Nepal’s new map that claims the disputed Kalapani region in Uttarakhand, is likely to complete the legislative process within the next four days.
- Rajendra Phuyal, Secretary of the National Assembly secretariat tabled the Second Constitution Amendment Bill, 2077 (Vikram Sambat) on Sunday when the bill was cleared unanimously for discussion.
- Minister of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs Shiva Maya Tumbahamphe introduced the bill and sought the support of the 59 member National Assembly in passing it. Mr. Phuyal announced that the House will vote on the Amendment in four days, indicating that the bill could be passed as early as on Tuesday. The decision comes a day after the Lower House voted unanimously in favour of adopting the new map.