16 killed after overnight rain wreaks havoc in Hyderabad
- As many as 16 people lost their lives in the rain that pounded Hyderabad on Wednesday. With the latest deaths, the toll till Wednesday night rose to 24, including eight members of two families who died after a boundary wall collapsed on their houses in Chandrayangutta.
- The city has received an average of 17 cm rainfall. The IMD station at Begumpet recorded 19.2 cm, double from the previous highest of 9.8 cm recorded in 2013.
Loan borrowers’ Deepavali is in your hands, SC tells Centre
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday questioned the government’s need to wait till November 15, to notify the implementation of a scheme for waiving the compound interest accumulated during the moratorium against loans worth up to ₹2 crore.
- The scheme is meant to “handhold small and vulnerable borrowers” whose fortunes have dipped during the lockdown. “Their Deepavali is in your hands,” the court told the government.
- The waiver scheme has been proposed for eight different categories, including MSME, education, housing, consumer durables, credit card, auto, personal and consumption loans.