Govt. unveils 2.6% hike in wheat MSP amid protests
- Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar told the Lok Sabha that the Cabinet had approved MSP hikes for six crops, including a 2.6% increase in the rate for wheat. Last year, MSP for wheat had seen a 4.6% increase.
- The MSP is the rate at which the government purchases crops from farmers, and is based on a calculation of at least one and a half times the cost of production incurred by farmers.
Amid Oppn. concerns, Lok Sabha passes FCRA Bill
- The Lok Sabha passed the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Amendment Bill, 2020
- Aadhaar a mandatory identification document for all the office bearers of an NGO or an association seeking foreign donations.
- Gaurav Gogoi of the Congress said the Bill aimed at curbing political dissent and due to the 20% cap, many NGOs will shut shop and many people will become jobless.
- Mr. Rai justified the amendment to cut administrative expenses saying many NGOs use the donations for personal use.