DEEPIKA PADUKONE, PV SINDHU FLAG-BEARERS OF PM MODI’S ‘BHARAT KI LAXMI’ INITIATIVE
- Actor Deepika Padukone and shuttler PV Sindhu on October 22 were named the ambassadors for ‘Bharat Ki Laxmi’, an initiative by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The aim of the initiative is bringing commendable work done by women across the nation to light ahead of the Diwali festival.
- The prime minister shared a video on the new campaign underscoring the cause of women empowerment.
‘Bharat Ki Lakshmi’ campaign
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged the citizens to honour daughters’
- The PM, during the during the 57th episode of ‘Mann Ki Baat‘, announced the launch of ‘Bharat Ki Lakshmi’ campaign on Diwali to highlight the contributions of the women of the country.
SOURAV GANGULY TAKES OVER AS BCCI’S 39TH PRESIDENT
- Former India captain Sourav Ganguly took over as the BCCI’s 39th president, becoming the biggest name to head the world’s richest cricket board.
- The 47-year-old Ganguly was officially entrusted with the task of heading Indian cricket for the next nine months at the BCCI’s General Body meeting.
- Ganguly served as the Cricket Association of Bengal President from 2015, before becoming the first cricketer in 65 years to take charge as full-time BCCI President after Maharaja of Vizianagaram in 1954.
- Ganguly, who served as national captain between 2000 and 2005, is considered one of the most successful skippers in the history of Indian cricket.
- He led to victory in the 2002 Natwest Trophy and to the final of the 2003 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.
INDIAN ARMY TO CONDUCT MEGA EXERCISE SINDHU SUDARSHAN IN RAJASTHAN
- Indian Army to conduct exercise codenamed as ‘Sindhu Sudarshan’ in the deserts of Rajasthan from 29 November to 4 December 2019.
- More than 40,000 troops will be participating in an all-arms battle array of Divisions and Brigades carrying out offensive operations in deserts.
- The exercise will showcase a high degree of synergy between the Indian Army and Indian Air Force.
- From choppers to tanks to heavy artillery will be used during the exercise.
BSNL, MTNL TO BE MERGED; CABINET APPROVES FOUR-WAY REVIVAL PLAN
- In order to revive loss-making telecom PSUs BSNL and MTNL the government today decided to merge the two ailing firms as part of a revival package that includes-
- raising sovereign bonds
- monetising assets
- voluntary retirement scheme (VRS) for employees.
- As part of the revival package, MTNL will be merged with BSNL. Pending this, MTNL will act as a subsidiary of BSNL.
- MTNL is listed but has its net worth already eroded. BSNL is unlisted.
- Announcing a four step revival plan for the two companies, telecom minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said government wants to make the two state-owned telecom companies more competitive by putting in Rs 29,937 crore.
GOVT ISSUES TRAVEL ADVISORY FOR INDIAN TOURISTS VISITING TURKEY AMID TENSE SITUATION IN COUNTRY-
- The Government of India has issued travel advisory for Indian tourists visiting Turkey over the situation in the Middle East nation following tensions with the US.
- In the advisory, the government has said that it has been receiving queries from several Indian nationals who are travelling to Turkey about the situation in the country.
- “Although there have been no reports of any untoward incident in the country so far involving Indian nationals, travelers are requested to exercise utmost caution while travelling to Turkey,
GOI HAS ASKED THE IT COMPANIES ACROSS THE WORLD TO SEND PROPOSALS TO NCRB TO INSTALL WORLD’S LARGEST FACIAL RECOGNITION SYSTEM
- India is all set to install the world’s largest facial recognition system to track and nab criminals in 20 days.
- India had asked IT companies across the world to send their proposals to the National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB) in New Delhi.
- The NCRB asked for the bids in July.
- The winner of the bids will be announced on November 8, and will provide the National Automated Facial Recognition System (AFRS) to the country.
- NCRB said, “This is an effort in the direction of modernizing the police force, information gathering, criminal identification, verification and its dissemination among various police organizations and units across the country.”
SANJEEV NANDAN SAHAI APPOINTED NEW POWER SECRETARY-
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of senior IAS officer Sanjeev Nandan Sahai as the new power secretary.
- The order in this regard was issued by Union Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions.
- He is a 1986-batch IAS officer of union territories (UT) cadre. He is at present serving as the special secretary in power ministry.
- He would be replacing Subhash Chander Garg who superannuates on 31 October 2019.
Superannuates-To retire on a pension because of age or infirmity.