4year UG courses in, M.Phil. out in new education policy
- The new National Education Policy approved by the Union Cabinet on Wednesday will introduce four year undergraduate degrees with multiple entry and exit options, abolish the M.Phil. degree, and establish a common higher education regulator with fee fixation for both private and public institutions.
- This is the first new education policy in 34 years, and was a poll promise of the BJP in 2014. A panel headed by former ISRO chief K. Kasturirangan submitted a draft in December 2018, which was made public and opened for feedback after the Lok Sabha election in May 2019.
Night curfew to end under Unlock 3 norms, says MHA
- Gymnasium and yoga institutes will open from August 5 and night curfew will end even as educational institutions, metro rail services and cinema halls will remain shut till the end of August, according to the fresh guidelines for Unlock 3 issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Wednesday.
- Swimming pools and entertainment parks will remain shut and all kinds of social, political or religious gatherings are prohibited.
- The MHA said the lockdown measures were to be strictly enforced in containment zones till August 31.
Rafales arrive at Ambala airbase
- Forty six months after a €7.87 billion contract was signed with France, the first five of the 36 Rafale fighter jets landed at the Ambala airbase on Wednesday.
- “The touchdown of Rafale combat aircraft in India marks the beginning of a new era in our Military History. These multi role aircraft will revolutionalise the capabilities of the IAF.”
Protesting is a fundamental right: UN
- As authorities worldwide grapple with swelling demonstrations over issues like political rights and racial justice, a UN committee reaffirmed on Wednesday that protesting peacefully, online or in person, is a fundamental human right.
- How countries implement the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), which under Article 21 guarantees the right to peaceful assembly.