IIM Calcutta best B-school in India, bags 17th spot globally in FT ranking
- IIM Calcuttahas bagged the 17th rank globally, jumping six places, for its 2-year Masters in Business Administration programme (earlier Post Graduate Programme in Management).IIM Calcutta has improved its ranking from last year when it had secured the 23rd spot.
- It is ahead of the other four Indian institutes listed in FT Ranking. The institute has also taken over IIM Ahmedabad for the top spot in the country.
- The institutes have been ranked in the list based on their performance on multiple parameters addressing areas such as employment, salary, faculty, weighted salary, career progress ranking etc.
Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde appointed next Chief Justice of India
- President Ram Nath Kovind signed a warrant to appoint Justice Sharad A. Bobde as the next Chief Justice of India (CJI).
- He will take the oath as CJI on November 18. His term will extend until April 2021.
- As per convention, outgoing CJI Ranjan Gogoi recommended the name of Justice Bobde, the most senior judge of the Supreme Court as his successor.
- Justice Bobde is part of the five-judge Constitutional Bench that is hearing the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid title dispute.
World Stroke Day is observed each year on October 29th
- Each year, October 29 is observed as World Stroke Day to raise awareness and reduce the incidence of stroke across the world.
- The focus this year is on prevention – more specifically, “Don’t be the one” where “one” refers to the one out of four people who will have a stroke at some point in their lives.
- A stroke is a disease affecting the arteries of the brain. Whenever an artery carrying oxygen and nutrients to the brain gets obstructed by a clot (ischaemic stroke), or ruptures (haemorrhagic stroke).
- A 2017 survey conducted by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) found that Indians are at a higher risk of developing strokes compared with people living in the US.
- Every minute, three Indians suffer a stroke.
Manohar Lal Khattar Takes Oath as Haryana CM for 2nd Term With Dushyant Chautala as Deputy
- Manohar Lal Khattar took oath as the Haryana chief minister for a second term, will lead the BJP-JJP (Jannayak Janata Party) coalition government in the state.
- JJP leader Dushyant Chautala took oath as his deputy, a day after the governor invited him to lead the alliance that also has the support of seven Independents.
- Haryana Governor Satyadeo Narain Arya administered the oath at a ceremony, lasting less than 10 minutes, held at the Raj Bhawan on Diwali.
Bill Gates beats Jeff Bezos, reclaims the world’s richest man title
- Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos has lost the title as the world’s richest man, paving the way for Bill Gates to grab the top spot.
- This happened after Amazon’s Q3 results resulted in Bezos losing nearly $7 billion in stock value.
- Amazon shares fell 7 per cent in trading, leaving Bezos down to $103.9 billion.
- Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is currently worth $105.7 billion.
- Bezos ended Gates’ 24-year run as the richest man in 2018 and became the first man on earth with a net worth of $160 billion.
Girish Chandra Murmu appointed as J&K’s first Lieutenant Governor, Radha Krishna Mathur to be Ladakh’s first LG
- The Union Government has appointed IAS officers Girish Chandra Murmuand Radha Krishna Mathur as the new lieutenant governors of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh Union Territories respectively.
- The two new Governors would be replacing Satya Pal Malik, who served as the 13th and last Governor of the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Malik, who oversaw J&K during the transition phase from a state to two UTs, was transferred and appointed as the new Governor of Goa less than a week before the formal bifurcation of the state.
- The state of Jammu and Kashmir was split into two Union Territories on August 5, 2019, after the Parliament approved the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Bill 2019.