SC shunts out Assam NRC Coordinator Hajela
No Reasons given for transfer to M.P.
- A Special Bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi, on Friday ordered the transfer of Assam National Register of Citizens (NRC) Coordinator Prateek Hajela to Madhya Pradesh.
- The Bench, also comprising Justice Rohinton Nariman, did not mention any reason for the transfer, but said such orders were always made for a reason.
CJI names Justice Bobde as successor
- Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi has recommended Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde as his successor and the 47th Chief Justice of India in keeping with convention and the seniority norm.
- The Chief Justice, due to retire on November 17, has sent his recommendation to the government.
Terror funding: FATF retains Pak. on grey list
- The Financial Action Task Force (FATF) retained Pakistan on the “grey list” and gave a stern warning that it will be blacklisted if it does not fulﬁl the global standards criteria for combating terrorist ﬁnancing by February 2020.
FIR against four policemen in U.P. custodial torture case
- The Uttar Pradesh police have registered an FIR against four policemen, including a Deputy Superintendent of Police and an inspector, in connection with the alleged custodial torture leading to the death of a 35yearold man in Pilkhuwa area of Hapur district.
Unresolved questions in a sordid episode
- The CJI was exonerated of charge of sexual harassment, but there is no remedy yet for the complainant’s victimisation
- On April 19, 2019, a former member of the staﬀ in the oﬃce of the Chief Justice of India (CJI) had sought an inquiry by the “senior retired judges” to “enquire into charges of sexual harassment and consequent victimization”. Subsequently, a committee of three judges exonerated the CJI of the charge of sexual harassment. Since the committee proceedings have not been made public, their reasoning and decision remain a mystery.