Core sector output shrinks 15% in June, fertilizers buck trend
- The output of eight core sec- tor industries shrank for the fourth straight month in June 2020, although the con- traction eased to 15%, showing some recovery from the 22% fall in May, according to data released by the Commerce Ministry on Friday. Economists expect the negative trend to continue for at least two more months.
- Of the eight core sectors, the fertilizer industry was the only one which saw actual growth in June, with output rising 4.2% in comparison to June 2019. This, however, is lower than the May 2020 growth of 7.5%, but reflects the positive outlook in the agriculture sector where a normal monsoon is leading to expectations of a bumper kharif crop.
Yoga institutes, gyms to reopen in Rajasthan, Punjab from August 5
- Yoga institutes and gyms will be allowed to open in Rajasthan and Punjab under Unlock 3.0 for which the State governments issued guidelines on Friday. Night curfew in Punjab will remain in force from 11 p.m to 5 a.m.
- The Rajasthan government also gave conditional permission to reopen small places of worship, which used to have an average daily visit of up to 50 people prior to the lockdown. For these places, entry of people will be staggered so that social distancing of at least six feet is ensured. Wearing masks is also mandatory.
- Places of worship in Punjab will remain open only between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m and the number of persons at any given time shall will not exceed 20.
1947 pact on Gurkha soldiers redundant: Nepal Minister
- The 1947 agreement among India, Nepal and the United Kingdom that deals with the military service of Gurkha soldiers has become “redundant,” Foreign Minister of Nepal Pradeep Kumar Gyawali said on Friday.
- In an online interaction organised by the Nepal Institute of International Relations, the Minister also said India should respond to Nepal’s request for talks on the Kalapani dispute to prevent the issue from impacting people to people relations.