Seized antiquities left to face the elements
- Art experts, archaeologists and enthusiasts have raised serious concerns over the possible damage to these priceless pieces of cultural heritage as a result of having been left in the open over a long period, especially in a coastal city.
- Commissioner, HR&CE, K. Phanindra Reddy said: “We have identified a piece of land belonging to the Kapaliswarar Temple. [But] The Idol wing was to send a proposal to the government to take the land on lease,” indicating a procedural stalemate.
IIP shrinks by 4.3% to lowest in 8 years
- The consumer non-durables sector contracted by 0.4% compared with a growth of 4.1% over the same period.
Article 370 created separatist mindset: govt.
- The presence of Article 370 in the Constitution for over seven decades created a “separatist mindset” in the Kashmiri people, the Centre told the Supreme Court.
- “The militants and separatist elements, with the support of foreign forces inimical to India, were taking advantage of the situation… the residents of the erstwhile State were denied benefits of the rights guaranteed by the Constitution to all other citizens of the country,” the government said.
- The Ministry was replying to 34 separate petitions filed by persons from various walks of life. They have challenged the dilution of the special status under Article 370, which was the source of special rights and privileges accorded to Kashmiris under Article 35A, and the subsequent bifurcation of the State into Union Territories.
- The government also rejected the contention that Article 370 was scrapped without the prior concurrence of the J&K Assembly.