Travel from EU, U.K. banned as India tightens preventive steps
- In a series of temporary preventive measures, the Group of Ministers (GoM) on COVID19 on Monday banned
the entry of travellers from European Union nations, the European Free Trade Association, Turkey and the United Kingdom to India from March 18.
- After its seventh meeting on the COVID19 outbreak, the GoM also called for expanding the compulsory
quarantine for a minimum period of 14 days for passengers coming from/transiting
through UAE, Qatar, Oman, and Kuwait.
Ready for COVID-19 impact: RBI Governor
- Reserve Bank of India on Monday said it was ready to take any policy measure to mitigate the effects of the COVID-19 outbreak on the economy.
- RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das also assured depositors of the beleagured Yes Bank that the reconstruction was aimed at ensuring the safety of depositors’ money
- Mr. Das assured that the central bank would provide liquidity to Yes Bank if needed, after the moratorium on
withdrawals is lifted on March 18.
Rajasthan govt. moves apex court against CAA
- The Rajasthan government on Monday moved the Supreme Court against the Citizenship (Amendment)
Act, contending that the law was against the country’s secular fabric and violated the fundamental rights enshrined in the Constitution.
- Rajasthan is the second State after Kerala to challenge the CAA in the top court.
Bill on Central status to 3 Sanskrit deemed universities passed
- A Bill to grant the status of Central universities to three deemed Sanskrit universities was passed by the Rajya Sabha on Monday. Several Opposition MP’s raised concern that the other five classical Indian languages are being neglected.
- The Central Sanskrit Universities Bill, 2020, was passed by the Lok Sabha in December 2019. It’s title was amended in the Rajya Sabha to change the year. The amended Bill will now be sent back to the Lok Sabha. It gives Central status to the Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan and Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth in Delhi and the Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth in Tirupati.