Amid fierce protests, Rajya Sabha passes two farm Bills
- Two of the three agriculture related legislation piloted by the Narendra Modi government, aimed at liberalising the farm sector, were passed by the Rajya Sabha.
- The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, 2020, and the Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill.
MSP, govt. procurement will continue, says PM
- Minimum support price (MSP) and government procurement of crops would continue, after the passage of two agriculture Bills.
- System of MSP will remain. Government procurement will continue. We are here to serve our farmers. We will do everything possible to support them and ensure a better life for their coming generations,”
- Indian farmers had been bound by several constraints and bullied by middlemen for years. The two Bills would give them freedom from the same and help in doubling their income.