Trump renews oﬀer to mediate on Kashmir, but skirts CAA
- India and the United States on Tuesday strengthened their partnership with agreements on healthcare and energy, and issued a joint statement that designated the two countries as “Comprehensive Global Strategic partners”
- The statement followed bilateral talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and U.S. President Donald Trump, during which the latter renewed his oﬀer to mediate between India and Pakistan on Kashmir and discussed the issue of “religious freedom”.
S. Srivastava appointed Special CP, Law & Order
- Mr. Srivastava, who was posted as Special Director General (Training) in the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) prior to his repatriation from central deputation, was, in a subsequent order from the DelhiHome Department, appointed Special Commissioner of Police (law and order) in the Delhi Police.
- Mr. Srivastava, was pipped to replace outgoing Delhi Police Commissioner Amulya Patnaik whose month-long extension in view of the Delhi Assembly elections will end on February 29
Virus infections cross 80,000 globally
- South Korea has most COVID-19 cases outside China, with 977 infected and 10 dead; Iran toll rises to 16.
- Believed to come from wildlife in Wuhan city late last year, the ﬂulike disease has infected 80,000 people and killed 2,663 in China. But the World Health Organization (WHO) says the epidemic there has peaked and has been declining since February 2.
- Beyond mainland China, however, it has jumped to nearly 40 countries and territories, with some three dozen deaths. Growing outbreaks in Iran, Italy and South Korea are of particular concern.