Join our Telegram Channel for daily newspaper during the Pandemic.
COVID vaccine likely in early 2021: Vardhan
- Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan on Monday said the first vaccine for COVID-19 is likely to be available in the first quarter of 2021.
- There are at least three viable such vaccine candidates that are in the phase of clinical trials right now in the country. We’re hopeful that within the first quarter of 2021 it will be available.
UN expert raises concerns over eviction of slum dwellers in Delhi
- The United Nations special rapporteur on the right to adequate housing, Balakrishnan Rajagopal, on Monday raised concerns over the eviction of slum dwellers along railway tracks in Delhi.
- The Supreme Court had on August 31 issued an order to evict around 48,000 households living along the tracks, giving residents three months to leave, the statement said.
- “This amounts to a fullfledged denial of justice for the lowincome people living along the railway tracks. If this is maintained, India will squarely violate Article 2.3 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights containing the core human rights principle that everyone can seek judicial relief against any decision she or he considered arbitrary.”
- Residents living in very close proximity to a railway track may be needed to protect them from potential railway accidents.